Things to do in and around Calvinia
- 4×4 Routes: There are various routes, some steep in Anglo Boer War history, along the escarpment with picturesque views and San paintings, or along the riverbed with huge Namaqua fig trees clinging to the rock surfaces. A must during spring when thick carpets of flowers adorn the countryside.
- Akkerendam Nature Reserve: Offering walks for the fit or the frail. Afford you to take in the magnificent scenery, study the Sterboom and up to 65 species of birds.
- Dutch Reformed Church: Design by Gaysford, a Potchefstroom architect, the church is in neo-gothic style and cost 1,200 pounds to build.
- Museum: House in the art deco Old Synagogue built in 1920, exhibits portray the lives of the early European settlers. A cedarwoodhorsemill and old locomotive train relate the history of the area.
- Spring Flowers: During the Flower Season (September – October) each year, up-to-date maps direct flower-lovers to the best shows.
- Hantam Meat Festival: (Last week-end in August) A local farmers festival, well known all over Southern Africa.